Saturday, October 6, 2012

Oh, Danny Boy

I love you so. Danny Amendola we're talking about here, people. Sadly this isn't an Irish love ballad. It's more of a tragic blog post about the perpetually depressing career of young Amendola. Poor guy. 

"With the 116th pick in the Sunday Sauce Fantasy Draft, Howard's Heroes select Danny Amendola" - Commissioner Goodell

This is how our affair started. With me stealing Amendola 15th round in our fantasy draft. I felt good about it for the first 4 weeks. The kid was scary quick. He was getting plenty of touches. But he did have a history. And history tends to repeat itself. 

Amendola's junior NFL year started full of promise. It ended with the Texas Tech stand-out benched after one game with a dislocated elbow. He would miss the season. 

The wide out started 2012 looking strong. He was about the only weapon on an offense that desperately needed some outs. Stephen Jackson is still a good back, but he's looking a little seasoned these days. I won't hesitate to say Amendola was the X-factor for the Rams to start off the season 2-2 (along with a pretty stout-looking defense).

From X-factor to X-rays. Amendola started off his Thursday night with a sick one-handed grab. Giving me 4.4 points for my fantasy team and a good feeling about the week. I keep the smiles to myself though. With the luck I've had the past couple of weeks, I knew it was only a matter of time before some Tonya Harding/NancyKerrigan-esque incident happened. 

"WHYYYYYYYY? WHYYYYYY?"

Laying out for a ball early in the game, Amendola looked to make a nice grab. Upon further review, the ball bounced on the ground and the big play was ruled incomplete. Bad news for Howard's Heroes. Even worse news came when I realized Danny wasn't on the field. Where'd you go, Danny?! Then I saw the worse news. Along with the ball, Danny's shoulder has also taken a pretty good bounce off the field. Amendola had his helmet off on the sidelines, wincing as trainers felt his shoulder. 

Turns out nothing is broken, but he did dislocate something having to do with his clavicle or shoulder. You get never get the real doctor's diagnosis from Rotowire. But Amendola will miss 4 to 8 weeks. Enough for me to put him on waivers. It's been fun Danny.

A moment of silence please...


Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.


Well that was depressing! I cried just now. Here are some receivers you can grab to replace young Amendola who might still be available in your league. 

-Brian Hartline, Dolphins
-James Jones, Packers
-Andre Robers, Cardinals 
-Nate Washington, Titans 
-Brandon Gibson, Rams 

The loss of a player is always sad. Luckily we didn't know him personally and it's just Fantasy Football so lets wipe our eyes and get the hell over it. Happy trails to Danny Amendola. Oh, Danny boy...



No comments:

Post a Comment