Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Oh Yea, Playoff Bound

After a 3-game losing streak in anything, one tends to get at least a minor case of depression. Whether it's losing to your sister in HORSE (it happens), having a bad streak of luck in rock-paper-scissors (chance games suck), or getting beat in a friendly game of Mario Kart (they're never friendly)....LOSING IS AWFUL!

I'm going to blame my own losing, and the depression that obviously came with it, for me not writing a blog in three weeks. I thought, "I'm writing a blog about Fantasy Football, and I can't even win a Fantasy Football game!". It's like if Lance Armstrong started up a blog called "Not Blood Doping". Or if the Long Island Medium made one called "Seriously, I Talk To Dead People, TLC Is Not Just Filling Their Time Slots With Rubbish". The point is, I had lost my credibility. Everyone knows in journalism, or in a very serious blog such as the one you are currently reading, credibility is everything. Don't worry guys. I got it back.

WIN STREAKS!! BOOYAH!

And with that bold and all-caps heading, I have gained my credibility back. Did Howard's Heroes hit a string of terribly bad luck? Yes. We'll call it luck because it kind of takes the onus off me. PR 101. Not my fault. Never my fault. But we're back on track and we're in the playoffs. Let's see the run-down of what made Howard's Heroes, extra Heroic. I mean, I finished 8-1 in the last 9 games of the season. I mean WE did. We did...


  • Doug Martin- plain and simple. My wittle Muscle Hamster (or the artist formerly known as "Muscle Hamster") has been racking up the points for me. I don't know if the defense just can't see him sneaking through the line at 4.4 speed or if he is just that good, but the man has been integral to my playoff push. Remember what he did against the Raiders? (Quick reminder: 251 yards and 4 TDs). That game helped me beat my roommate. Did I mentioned I picked this guy up Week 6 when someone put him on the waiver wire?! HAHA to that someone
  • Faith In Cam- Cam Newton has not had the best sophomore season. The expectations he set for himself as a frosh really kind of gave people some unrealstic expectations of what he could do with a still pretty mediocre Carolina offense. He is the offense, in a nutshell. Zone options, quick slants, screens and seam routes seem to be the way the Panthers are heading. And late in the season, it's paid off for me to keep the faith in my #1 draft pick. Last 4 weeks he's been the top producer in the NFL, fantasy points-wise. 1,077 yards and 8 TDs passing. But Dexter, isn't Cam always a run-threat and that's why you hold him in such high esteem? I'm you have a mysterious knack for reading my mind, anonymous blog-reader. He has rushed for 286 yards and 3 TDs on top of that. 
  • Numbers Are For Accountants- Projections. Rankings. Defensive match-up statistics. Guys on TV who get paid to make all the wrong predictions. I try not to listen to it all. If I had, Cam Newton would've probably been traded off mid-way through the season for some tight-end that would be netting me 8 points a week. Steven Jackson wouldn't be my flex starter and consistently netting me double digit figures. I would've waited a week and not started Bryce Brown against the Cowboys (we went off). The guys on TV and whatever computer programs are running that tell you who is going to do what are a bunch of poppycock. Thats right, I cursed. Poppycock. Michael Fabiano isn't giving the Sermon on the Mount every time he speaks. Take it as another opinion and move on. You have opinions too. Maybe some good ones!
So here I am. #2 seed in the playoffs thanks entirely to my own grit and fortitude. Fantasy football takes a lot out of me every Sunday. So much so, that I can't seem to move off of whatever couch I might find myself coaching from. "GOOOO RG3! GOOOO!". Can you imagine an entire day of screaming such encouraging words? It's exhausting. But if any of you would like to strap up and play next year, I'll be waiting. Hopefully with the Sunday Sauce 2012 trophy in my possession. 

No comments:

Post a Comment